Test your knowledge in this quiz!
By Anna Walsh
1. Joan Jett is a DC-area native featured in Frame of Mind. Which two bands is she best known for?
- The Heartbreakers
- The Blackhearts
- The Runaways
Answer: The Blackhearts and The Runaways.
2. Sleater-Kinney is one of the best known 90’s riot grrrl bands. Which of their members just announced her departure from the band?
- Carrie Brownstein
- Corin Tucker
- Janet Weiss
Answer: Janet Weiss
3. This classic punk frontwoman’s stage name is a chemical largely used to make plastic. Which band did she front?
- The Slits
- X-Ray Spex
Answer: X-Ray Spex. (Poly Styrene is the front person.)
4. Laura Jane Grace’s home state is often mentioned in Against Me! songs. Which state is it?
Answer: Florida. She was a military brat born in Fort Benning, GA who moved around often before settling there at twelve.
5. This bassist released a memoir called Girl in a Band in 2015.
- Sheila E
- Kim Deal
- Kim Gordon
Answer: Kim Gordon.
6. It’s not a spoon, not a fork, but a Shonen Knife. In what country did this band rise to prominence?
7. Young punks The Regrettes covered a song from the Hamilton musical last year for its EP. What song was it?
- “My Shot”
8. A big band from the smallest state, Downtown Boys were named “America’s Most Exciting Punk Band” by which publication?
- The New York Times
- Rolling Stone
Answer: Rolling Stone.
9. Blondie’s Debbie Harry used her prolific voice as a character in a classic musical’s film adaptation. Which was it?
- Sound of Music
10. Patti Smith is not only one of the pioneers of punk rock but is also a poet, artist, and author. What was her first album?